Saturday, January 19, 2013

Favorite Pics


This is my last blog posted on the Crete phase of my trip.

In this blog I am presenting some of my favourite pictures and or events with commentary. Thanks to all for the feedback.

According to my camera log I have taken just under 3500 pictures of which I have kept 1527.

These are the White Mountains (Lefkes Ores) and they have dominated the background of my world everyday.



This is my personal favourite picture  and is now my desk top photo.

I took this photo from Plaka looking west towards the villages of Almyrida and Kalyves.

If you click on any picture, it should expand for a better look.


I really had no idea what to expect coming to Greece and Crete. Many asked why? Isn't it unsettled there now? Yes it is. Many are concerned, and you would be too if your pension was being cut by half or you were unemployed as half the youth are. However, while I'm aware this is in the background of everyone's life, I have enjoyed nothing but civility, hospitality and lovely people. Yes, Greece is facing some challenges, but they are working their way through a difficult time as they have for millennia.  In Crete, the issues don't seem as extreme, although youth unemployment is high.  But Crete is particularly self sufficient and the crisis you see on TV seems mostly centered in Athens.




Chania has certainly been a highlight.

I was aware, in a foggy sort of way, that the Venetians played an important role in Mediterranean history, but now, having been here,  I understand far more about what a vital power it was and the crucial role they played in our own history.







The Old Town is a treasure. Simply walking around it is an experience.

It represents a time when life was so different yet so much the same. Every twist and turn is another unexpected vista. 










The colours, the architecture, the relaxing harbour front, the shops, the museums, and the history all combine to make this a magical place.

Chania is also growing. Ryan Air has decided to make Chania its hub for all southern Europe. Massive renovations are underway to accommodate all the jobs that will be created.

All good news for the people of Chania and Crete.  CNN has just listed Crete as one of the top ten destinations for 2013.  Hope grows.




The museums and archaeological sites have been another highlight. What was a surprise was how much of the commonly seen images of books are from Crete. I did not appreciate how central Crete has been to the past.

This floor mosaic from the Roman Republic is an example. It depicts Ariadne, after being left by Theseus on the shore of Naxos, being taken by Dionysius who comes to rescue her and take her as his wife.




The Minoans have long been a mystery and therefore the subject of great speculation. I remember studying this civilization as an undergrad. Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would actually walk the ruins of Phaistos or Knossus.

This Minoan Museum in Chania is exquisite, not only for the artifacts so well displayed, but the building itself features grand arches and old architecture.











Many posts in this blog mention the food and the colour. This ice cream store in Chania is an example. So far I have resisted!






The agriculture power of Crete can not be overlooked. I have largely been a vegetarian here without even noticing it. The food is so well prepared and presented. Everything is fresh.

These potatoes are not an extreme by any measure.

This is the way it is here.








The 'gift of the house' is a feature of hospitality.

Meals are not to be rushed such as we do.

Going out for supper is an evening event.

Last night I was in a hurry and after eating and wanting to get on my way the two owners were offended, pulled out the raki, and we talked for another 20 minutes at the counter, well they kept my cup full.








Souvlaki!

Souvlakia!

So, so very good!

I shall miss this street food!!!









An observation I made yesterday is that I do not believe I have seen a cow since I arrived although I have traveled 100s of kilometers of farm land. Sheep and goats are a different matter. Sheep are everywhere and goats are almost as common.













I came across these youngsters at the Triada Monastery.









The detail and interesting ways Cretans have learned to use small spaces is hard to capture of camera

Nothing is overlooked. It creates a charm we simply do not see often in North America.



The churches and chapels are always a treat to the eye. These worship centres are ornate beyond anything we see. The icons are still something I need to know more about.

This is a double vaulted sanctuary in a small mountain village.












The ocean of course is stunning everywhere. The colours of the sea are wonderful and almost always alive with fish, octopus, and more.







This is a local swimming hole for Plaka. There is a traverna on the beech of course.


I wish it had been warm enough to get me in for a swim but, as nice as it has been, its not warm enough to go in.











Crete is largely volcanic and rock protrusions offer great opportunities for an interesting shot.










This is a photographers paradise.

I caught this wave on the southern coast.




Note the way the trees are embedded in the sidewalk. These two shots are at the Marina in Chania

















Here a fisherman tenderizes an octopus by throwing it repeatedly on the cement wharf.

Notice the black 'ink' on his hands





The houses, like this villa, are always interesting to look at. The Cretans live outdoors most of the year so patios are on all houses and more than one so there is always a side out of direct sun.












Note the old grind stone incorporated into this wall.








This is a mountain village street, Keflas I think.

It is going to be hard to let go of my little car. Its going to be harder going home and obeying traffic laws again.  All traffic laws in Crete are suggestions. Little is ever enforced.












Travernas are everywhere and such great places to stop for a leisurely lunch. This is the village of Veryses.



YASOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. I look forward to reading your comments.